I decided to get a little experimental with my pancakes this go round. Results… not too shabby! Check out this really simple recipe to give your tired pancakes a flavor makeover, and just for kicks add a fried egg and pancetta and take it up a notch.
- 2 extra large eggs (separated)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. dried lavender flowers
- Unsalted butter
- Maple syrup
- Sauté 2 tbsp. butter and lavender flowers over medium low heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Strain melted butter into small bowl and set aside. Discard lavender.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg yolks, and ricotta cheese.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and Kosher salt in a separate bowl.
- Combine flour mixture, yolk mixture and stir in buttermilk and lavender infused butter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat whites in another separate bowl until fluffy peaks appear, and fold them into the batter.
- Now for the cooking part. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add a pat of butter.
- Working in batches, spoon a small ladle of batter into the skillet for each pancake. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with maple syrup.